Elfrid Payton is still a Knick as of this writing. He is the representative example of the up-in-the-air status of the Knicks and the NBA.
Elfrid signed a 2-year, $8 million per year contract with the Knicks before the 2019-20 season. The Knicks hold an option for his second year — this coming season: 2020-21 is partially guaranteed for $1M, it was to be fully guaranteed on Sunday, June 28, 2020. That date is now TBA.
So we wait to see if Elfrid Payton will be a Knick this season; further complicated by the new Head of Basketball Operations, Leon Rose, and the new coach, Tom Thibodeau. Note that the GM is still Scott Perry, who signed Payton and drafted him in Orlando; aka he is a big fan.
But this article is not really about Elfrid Payton — as I say above, he is the representative example of so many players.
With the NBA schedule pushed back due to Coronavirus, and then the original dates changed to be TBA’s — here is the current look:
Deadline for NBA Draft Entrants: November 8
- Deadline for all early entrants (including international players) to withdraw from the NBA draft (4:00pm CT).
NBA Draft: November 18
- NBA draft day.
Deadline to Waive Players & Apply Stretch Provision: TBA (originally Aug 31)
- Last day for teams to waive players and apply the stretch provision to their 2020/21 salaries in a normal league year.
Deadline for Termination Options: TBA (originally October 17)
- Last day for decisions on player, team and early termination options (4:00pm CT).
- Note: Some player, team, and early termination option decisions are due earlier.
- Last day for teams to make qualifying offers to players eligible for restricted free agency.
1st Day to Negotiate with Free Agents: TBA (originally October 18)
- Last official day of the 2019/20 NBA league year.
- Teams can begin negotiating contracts with free agents (5:00pm CT).
Start of 2019-20 NBA Season & Moratorium Period: TBA (originally October 19)
- Official start of the 2019-20 NBA league year.
- Moratorium period begins.
- Restricted free agents can sign an offer sheet.
- Teams can begin signing players to rookie scale contracts, minimum salary contracts, and two-way contracts.
- Third- and fourth-year rookie scale options for 2021-22 can be exercised.
End of Moratorium Period: TBA (originally October 23)
- Moratorium period ends (11:00am CT)
- Teams can begin officially signing players, extending players, and completing trades.
- The two-day period for matching an RFA offer sheet signed during the moratorium begins.