2. The Micheal Ray Richardson/Ray Williams/Bill Cartwright Youth Rebuild
Still Eddie Donovan in command.
- Bob McAdoo, in his prime at age 27, was traded to Boston for three (3) 1st-round picks in the 1979 draft, which ended up being Bill Cartwright at #3 overall, Larry Demic at #9 overall, and Sly Williams at #21 overall.
- Spencer Haywood was traded for Joe C Meriweather.
- Micheal Ray Richardson, picked #4 overall in 1978, blossomed into an elite guard in 1979-80.
- Ray Williams, picked #10 in 1977, teamed with Richardson to produce an elite, athletic young backcourt.
- With Red Holzman back as coach, the Bill Cartwright/Micheal Ray Richardson/Ray Williams Knicks won 50 games in 1980-81 but lost in the 1st round of the playoffs 2-0 to Chicago Bulls.
- Ray Williams left as a free agent with the NY Nets — and the Knicks received power forward Maurice Lucas as compensation.
- The Knicks plummetted to 33 wins in 1981-82 and it was on to Rebuild #3..
Your thoughts on any of the above? Additional comments? Please feel free to provide your feedback below.
Be the first to comment